Daily World Briefing, May 17-Xinhua

Daily World Briefing, May 17

Source: Xinhua

Editor: huaxia

2026-05-17 08:23:15

China, U.S. achieve positive outcomes in economic, trade consultations: ministry

China's Ministry of Commerce said Saturday that China and the United States have achieved positive outcomes in economic and trade consultations.

When responding to media inquiries, a spokesperson of the ministry outlined five areas of initial outcomes achieved by the two countries' economic and trade teams during their recent consultations.

First, the two sides agreed to continue implementing outcomes reached in previous talks and formed positive consensus on relevant tariff arrangements.

China and the United States will also establish trade and investment councils to address their respective concerns in trade and investment cooperation. Through the trade council, the two sides will discuss issues such as tariff reductions on specific products, and they have agreed in principle to lower tariffs on products of respective concern on an equivalent scale.

In addition, the two countries will resolve or make substantive progress toward resolving non-tariff barriers and market access issues involving some agricultural products.

Hamas says leadership vote inconclusive in 1st round; 2nd round to be held later

Hamas said Saturday in an official statement that it has held an election to choose its leader, but the result was not decided in the first round.

A second round of voting will be held "at a later date," the statement added.

Hamas confirmed on Saturday that Izz al-Din al-Haddad, commander-in-chief of its armed wing al-Qassam Brigades, was killed in an Israeli airstrike on Friday.

Earlier on Saturday, the Israeli military and the domestic security agency Shin Bet confirmed in a joint statement that al-Haddad was killed in the Israeli airstrike on Gaza City on Friday.

Also on Saturday, two Palestinians were killed and five others injured in an Israeli airstrike targeting a civilian vehicle west of Gaza City, according to Palestinian security and medical sources.

Security sources told Xinhua that an Israeli drone fired at least one missile at the vehicle near al-Wahda Tower in the al-Nasr neighborhood, causing multiple casualties.

The Israeli military has not commented on the incident.

Iran to soon unveil mechanism to manage traffic in Hormuz Strait along designated route -- senior Iranian lawmaker

Iran will soon unveil a "professional mechanism" to manage traffic in the Strait of Hormuz along a designated route, a senior Iranian lawmaker said Saturday, without specifying the exact timing of the disclosure.

Ebrahim Azizi, chairman of the Iranian parliament's national security and foreign policy committee, wrote on social media platform X that the route will "remain closed" to the operators of Project Freedom, a U.S. military operation aimed at guiding commercial vessels out of the strait.

"In this process, only commercial vessels and parties cooperating with Iran will benefit from it," he said, adding that Iran will collect the "necessary fees" for "the specialized services provided under this mechanism."

The United States and Israel conducted joint strikes on Tehran and other Iranian cities on Feb. 28, killing Iran's then Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, senior Iranian officials and civilians. Iran responded with missile and drone attacks against Israel and U.S. interests in the region and tightened control over the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump says ISIS second-in-command eliminated in Africa

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second-in-command of ISIS globally, was eliminated by U.S. and Nigerian forces.

"Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally, thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing," Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

"He will no longer terrorize the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans," Trump said. "With his removal, ISIS's global operation is greatly diminished."

Trump thanked the Nigerian government for its "partnership" in the operation.

Canadian in isolation tests presumptive positive for hantavirus

A Canadian cruise passenger currently in isolation has tested presumptive positive for hantavirus, health authorities in Canada's British Columbia province announced Saturday.

Bonnie Henry, a provincial health officer, said the patient began developing mild symptoms, including fever and headache, two days ago and was taken to a local hospital. The presumptive positive result came back on Friday and the person is currently being treated in isolation as a positive patient.

The result still awaits final confirmation from a microbiology laboratory over the weekend, said Henry.

The patient is among 10 Canadians nationwide currently placed in isolation due to the cruise ship outbreak. Of the total, four are undergoing a 21-day monitored isolation in British Columbia, while the remaining six are isolated in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. The presumptive positive case is one of the four isolated in British Columbia, while the partner has tested negative.

Africa CDC activates immediate measures against Ebola outbreak

The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has announced the activation of immediate response measures following an Ebola virus disease outbreak in Ituri Province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and confirmation of an imported case in Uganda.

In a statement issued late Friday, the African Union's specialized healthcare agency said that, to respond to this regional outbreak more coherently and holistically, it has taken immediate action, including the activation of an incident management support team, a 72-hour incident action plan covering responses in the DRC and Uganda, and preparedness efforts in the neighboring South Sudan.

The agency also expressed serious concerns over the risk of further spread, citing the intense population movement, mining-related mobility, insecurity in affected zones, gaps in contact listing, infection prevention and control challenges, as well as the proximity of affected areas to neighboring countries.

Preliminary laboratory results have detected Ebola virus in 13 of 20 samples tested with the Bundibugyo virus, according to data from the Africa CDC. As of the latest update from the DRC, approximately 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths have been reported, mainly in Mongwalu and Rwampara health zones. Four deaths have been reported among laboratory-confirmed cases.

At least 8 dead in train-bus collision in Bangkok

A train and a bus collided in Bangkok, Thailand, on Saturday afternoon, killing eight people, local media reported.

At around 3:40 p.m., a train collided with a bus at a railway crossing in Ratchathewi District, triggering a fire accompanied by an explosion. Several other cars and motorcycles were also involved.

More than 20 people were injured, according to local media, as rescuers rushed to the scene to put out the fire and carry out rescue operations.

Deputy Minister of Transport Siripong Angkasakulkiat said in an interview with Thai media that the bus had stopped at the railway crossing due to a red light, preventing the railway barrier from lowering. The freight train was too heavy to brake in time, leading to the collision.

Latvian president nominates Kulbergs as prime minister-designate

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described the incident as "extremely serious" in a social media post, adding that she is in contact with local authorities.

Latvian President Edgars Rinkevics has announced that he has entrusted Andris Kulbergs, a member of parliament from the opposition United List party, with the formation of a new government.

At a press conference on Saturday, Rinkevics said that he had held intensive consultations in recent days with representatives of the political parties and factions in the Saeima, following the resignation announcement by outgoing Prime Minister Evika Silina from New Unity.

Taking into account the results of the consultations, Rinkevics said he saw an opportunity to form a government by entrusting it to representatives of the opposition. He explained that this was linked both to recent political dynamics and the need to give the opposition a chance to propose a new approach.

Comments

Comments (0)
Send

    Follow us on