GAYAN, Afghanistan, June 25 (Xinhua) -- At least five people were killed and 11 others wounded in an aftershock hitting eastern Afghanistan on Friday as humanitarian aid continued to flow into areas affected by a 5.9-magnitude earthquake two days earlier.
The earthquake on Wednesday left over 1,000 people dead and more than 1,500 others injured in the Paktika and neighboring Khost provinces.
Life-saving items and other supplies of humanitarian assistance were flowing into a mountainous region despite the tough terrain, Khalil-ur-Rahman Haqqani, acting minister for refugees and repatriation affairs of the Taliban-led caretaker government, told Xinhua on Thursday.
All government agencies and domestic and international non-governmental organizations have been working together to respond to the natural disaster, he said.
Earlier on Friday, several cargo planes from the United Arab Emirates and Iran arrived at the airport in Khost with food and other humanitarian assistance supplies, according to Zabihullah Mujahid, chief spokesperson for the Taliban-run administration.
Produced by Xinhua Global Service