SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 18 (Xinhua) -- YouTube said Tuesday it resolved an issue that caused a widespread global outage affecting access to the platform.
YouTube experienced the outage earlier on Tuesday, disrupting access for users across multiple countries, including the United States, with hundreds of thousands reporting problems loading videos and using related services.
In a public statement, TeamYouTube acknowledged the outage: "We're aware some of you are having issues accessing YouTube right now."
In an update, the team said: "An issue with our recommendations system prevented videos from appearing across surfaces on YouTube (including the homepage, the YouTube app, YouTube Music and YouTube Kids)."
A couple of hours after the massive disruption, the team said all of its platforms were back to normal.
Social media platforms were flooded with posts from YouTube users across regions reporting simultaneous access failures. Outage tracking website Downdetector showed a sharp surge in complaints worldwide. In the United States alone, more than 320,000 users flagged issues at the peak of the disruption. ■
