Authorities investigating 4th safety incident at Sydney Airport within month-Xinhua

Authorities investigating 4th safety incident at Sydney Airport within month

Source: Xinhua| 2026-08-21 14:33:00|Editor: huaxia

SYDNEY, Aug. 21 (Xinhua) -- Australian authorities said on Friday that they are investigating a taxiing conflict involving two Qantas flights in the fourth safety incident at Sydney Airport within a month.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said that two domestic Qantas flights with passengers on board were given clearance to take routes that could have caused a collision at Sydney Airport on Tuesday.

It said that a Boeing 737 that had arrived at Sydney from the Gold Coast was traveling west on taxiway L.

At the same time, an Airbus A321 preparing to depart for Melbourne was granted clearance to turn right onto the same taxiway.

The agency said that the Airbus crew observed the Boeing approaching from the left and stopped the aircraft.

The incident was the fourth runway safety incident at Sydney Airport since July 27, all of which are under investigation by the ATSB. Three of the incidents involved at least one Qantas flight.

A spokesperson for Airservices Australia, the government-owned entity that provides air traffic control services at the country's major airports, said it would provide the ATSB with all relevant information.

Australian Transport Minister Catherine King earlier in August summoned Airservices Australia's chief executive officer for a meeting after air traffic control staff shortages at Sydney Airport caused delays for hundreds of flights over two consecutive days.

EXPLORE XINHUANET