8 miners killed in attack by armed separatists in eastern Indonesia-Xinhua

8 miners killed in attack by armed separatists in eastern Indonesia

Source: Xinhua| 2026-05-21 19:58:45|Editor: huaxia

JAKARTA, May 21 (Xinhua) -- Eight gold miners were killed in an attack by armed separatist fighters in Yahukimo Regency, Indonesia's Highland Papua Province, on Wednesday, according to a statement issued by the Indonesian military on Thursday.

Military spokesperson Wirya Arthadiguna said the victims were civilians engaged in gold panning activities in the Korowai area, rejecting claims by the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB) that those killed were undercover security personnel.

The TPNPB claimed the attack, describing it as a retaliatory operation following the deaths of two of its members last week.

Wirya said the security situation remained under control, although the area continued to pose security challenges.

"The eight victims were ordinary civilians, not security personnel," he said, condemning the killings as a serious violation of law and human rights.

Papua, which shares an island with Papua New Guinea, has long experienced separatist unrest, with armed groups carrying out attacks targeting civilians as well as security forces.

EXPLORE XINHUANET