Australia blocks repatriation of IS-linked citizen from Syria-Xinhua

Australia blocks repatriation of IS-linked citizen from Syria

Source: Xinhua| 2026-02-18 14:38:30|Editor: huaxia

CANBERRA, Feb. 18 (Xinhua) -- The Australian government has issued an order banning a citizen with links to the Islamic State (IS) from returning to the country from Syria.

Tony Burke, minister for home affairs, said in a statement on Wednesday that he has issued a Temporary Exclusion Order (TEO) against one member of a group of 34 citizens aiming to return to Australia from the Kurdish-run Roj Camp in northeast Syria.

The group of 11 women and 23 children left the camp for Damascus on Monday, but were forced to turn around by Syrian authorities because their transfer had not been properly authorized.

Burke said that the TEO had been issued against one member of the group based on advice from security agencies.

EXPLORE XINHUANET