ANKARA, Oct. 31 (Xinhua) -- Afghanistan and Pakistan have agreed to maintain a ceasefire during meetings held in Istanbul under the mediation of Türkiye and Qatar, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
The discussions, conducted from Saturday to Thursday, aimed to reinforce the truce initially agreed upon in Doha on Oct. 8-19 with the participation of all four countries, said a statement issued by the ministry.
Both parties confirmed their commitment to uphold the ceasefire and decided to establish a monitoring and verification mechanism to ensure compliance and impose penalties on any violators, said the statement, adding that additional provisions for implementing the ceasefire will be discussed during a high-level meeting in Istanbul on Nov. 6.
Pakistan's Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Attaullah Tarar said the Afghan Taliban had pledged on Thursday to act against groups operating on Afghan soil, expressing hope that terrorist attacks from Afghan soil against Pakistan will end following the accord.
He also noted that the agreement stipulates penalties for any party found violating the ceasefire.
"The Istanbul negotiations ... concluded with agreement that both sides will meet again and discuss the remaining issues," said Afghan government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid on social media platform X on Friday.
He noted that Afghanistan "desires positive ties with Pakistan and remains committed to relations based on mutual respect, non-interference in internal affairs, and not posing a threat to any side."
The breakthrough followed marathon discussions in Istanbul, mediated by Türkiye and Qatar after earlier rounds of talks had reached a stalemate.
Earlier this month, the two neighboring countries had engaged in a weeklong border clash, along with a series of skirmishes and mutual accusations. ■
