CAIRO, May 25 (Xinhua) -- Egypt has so far taken in 121,000 Sudanese fleeing the armed clashes that broke out in Sudan on April 15, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said on Thursday.
The data was revealed by Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry during his meeting with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Filippo Grandi in Geneva earlier in the day, the ministry said in a statement.
Shoukry and Grandi discussed ways to enhance cooperation and partnership between Egypt and the UNHCR to alleviate the burden of Egypt, which currently hosts around 9 million migrants and refugees, the statement quoted Egyptian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid as saying.
Their talks also underlined the necessity for the UN refugee agency to mobilize resources to support Egypt's efforts in providing the necessary humanitarian and medical assistance for the displaced Sudanese citizens fleeing the conflict, he added.
As of Wednesday, the armed clashes between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces have left 865 civilians dead and 3,634 others wounded, said the Sudanese Doctors Syndicate.
A new week-long cease-fire was reached on Saturday in the Saudi port city of Jeddah by the Sudanese warring parties, but sporadic clashes have continued in the capital of Khartoum in the past days. None of the previous truces reached was truly observed by the two sides. ■