BEIJING, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- Four-time Formula 1 world champion Max Verstappen has signed a contract extension with Red Bull that will keep him with the team through the end of 2030, ending months of speculation over his future.
The 28-year-old Dutchman had been contracted through 2028, but performance-related clauses could have allowed him to leave earlier. He had been linked with possible moves to Mercedes and McLaren as Red Bull struggled at the start of Formula 1's new technical era.
"I am really pleased with the contract extension," Verstappen said. "We have the best people and I'm excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again."
Verstappen described Red Bull as a "second family" and said he remained committed to returning the team to championship contention.
"I came to the team hoping to be able to win races. What we went on to achieve together has been simply lovely and we have shared many incredible moments and won four World Championships," he said.
The announcement comes ahead of this weekend's Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort, which is scheduled to drop off the F1 calendar after this year.
Verstappen narrowly missed out on a fifth consecutive drivers' title last season, finishing two points behind McLaren's Lando Norris after recovering from a deficit of more than 100 points during the second half of the year.
Red Bull has found the going tougher since new car and engine regulations were introduced this season. Verstappen's best results have been second-place finishes in Austria and Hungary, and he has voiced frustration with the team's performance.
His decision to stay also comes during a period of significant change at Red Bull. Adrian Newey, longtime motorsport adviser Helmut Marko and former team principal Christian Horner have all left in recent years, while Verstappen's race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase has agreed to join McLaren no later than 2028.
Laurent Mekies replaced Horner as team principal in July 2025, and Verstappen said the Frenchman's leadership had helped convince him about Red Bull's direction.
"Getting to work with Laurent now for over a year has also been great. I see a clear vision he has for the team," Verstappen said. "Everyone in Milton Keynes believes in what we are building and I am looking forward to the next chapter, fighting for more victories and competing for championships."
Mekies called retaining Verstappen "fantastic news" and said the partnership had become one of the most successful in Formula 1 history.
"His impact on our team and on Red Bull's motorsport story has been transformational, and he has been fundamental to everything we have accomplished together," Mekies said.
Although the new agreement runs through 2030, it is understood to contain mechanisms that could allow Verstappen to leave if Red Bull's performance falls below specified levels. Such clauses are common in Formula 1 contracts, although their details are generally kept confidential.
Verstappen made his Formula 1 debut with Red Bull's junior team, then known as Toro Rosso, in 2015. He was promoted to Red Bull after four races of the 2016 season and won on his team debut at the Spanish Grand Prix.
He has since won four world championships and 71 grands prix, placing him third on Formula 1's all-time wins list behind Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher. ■



