SANAA, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- Yemen's Houthi group said Thursday it had carried out two drone attacks targeting an airport and an oil facility in Saudi Arabia's southern region of Najran.
In a statement on social media platform X, Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Sarea said the group launched two drone strikes, one hitting a "sensitive target" at Najran airport and the other hitting a facility belonging to Saudi state oil giant Aramco.
Sarea claimed both attacks "achieved their objectives," without providing further details on possible casualties or damage.
The strikes were carried out in response to what the group described as Saudi drone incursions into the airspace over Yemen's northern province of Saada, a Houthi stronghold bordering Saudi Arabia.
There was no immediate comment from Saudi authorities or Aramco on the Houthi claims.
The latest claim comes amid escalating tensions between the Houthis and Saudi Arabia.
On July 20, the group announced a maritime ban on Saudi shipping, citing an alleged Saudi blockade of Houthi-held areas. Since then, the Houthis have claimed a series of attacks on Saudi tankers, energy facilities and airports, while also intensifying missile and drone strikes on government-held areas in Yemen.
Yemen has been mired in conflict since late 2014, when the Houthis seized much of northern Yemen, including the capital Sanaa, prompting the Saudi-led coalition to intervene in 2015 in support of the Yemeni government. ■



