BEIJING, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- Carlos Sainz has signed a multi-year contract extension with Williams, committing his Formula 1 future to the team despite its difficult 2026 season.
Williams announced the deal Wednesday, a day after confirming that teammate Alex Albon would also continue to race for the team in 2027.
Sainz's previous contract was due to expire at the end of 2026, but the 31-year-old Spaniard has opted to remain with Williams as it attempts to recover from a disappointing start to F1's new regulation set.
"I truly believe in the people that form this team, both at the factory and at the racetracks, and the investments and hard work that are happening in the background," Sainz said.
"We have what it takes to turn this around together. I'm as committed as I was on day one to helping get Williams back to where it belongs, and I look forward to creating more memories with the team."
Sainz joined Williams from Ferrari ahead of the 2025 season, choosing the British team over other opportunities, including Audi's nascent F1 project. He won four grands prix during his time with Ferrari and helped Williams take a significant step forward in his first season at Grove.
Two podium finishes from Sainz contributed to Williams finishing fifth in the 2025 constructors' championship, its best result since 2016.
However, the team has failed to build on that progress this year and sits ninth among 11 teams after 11 rounds, with only 11 points and none from the past five races.
Williams had targeted the introduction of sweeping new technical regulations in 2026 as an opportunity to move closer to the front of the grid, but its new car arrived late and overweight.
Team principal James Vowles has acknowledged that the demands of producing the car stretched the factory beyond its limits. Williams has focused heavily on reducing weight during the season, limiting its ability to pursue aerodynamic development.
Sainz said discussions with Vowles and other senior figures about the team's problems had been "transparent and honest," and that investments and organizational changes behind the scenes had convinced him to remain.
"We have hit a bump in the road this season, but we have all the right ingredients to bounce back and come back stronger," he said.
Vowles said Sainz's contribution extended beyond his performances on race weekends.
"From the moment he joined, Carlos' talent behind the steering wheel and dedication back at the factory have been extremely valuable for this project, working day in, day out with his engineers to find every millisecond," Vowles said.
"He is a leader of this team, and I'm thrilled that he can see what's possible as we continue to rebuild it."
Sainz will enter his third season with Williams in 2027, when the team celebrates its 50th year in F1. Williams has won nine constructors' championships and seven drivers' titles, but its most recent constructors' crown came in 1997. ■



