Iran plans to bar hostile vessels from transiting Strait of Hormuz-Xinhua

Iran plans to bar hostile vessels from transiting Strait of Hormuz

Source: Xinhua

Editor: huaxia

2026-08-20 14:08:15

TEHRAN, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- A senior Iranian lawmaker said Wednesday that a draft plan under review by Iran's parliament to safeguard security in the Strait of Hormuz would bar hostile and espionage vessels from transiting the strategic waterway.

In an interview with state-run IRIB TV, Ebrahim Rezaei, a member of the parliament's national security and foreign policy committee, elaborated on the plan, whose general outlines have been approved by the committee.

The plan stipulates that vessels deemed hostile or involved in espionage activities that could threaten Iran's national security would not be allowed to pass through the strait, Rezaei said.

He added that Israeli military or civilian vessels would also be prohibited from transiting the waterway, with enforcement to be supervised by Iran's General Staff of the Armed Forces.

Rezaei said the plan included provisions for charging passage fees in the Iranian rial or other currencies, as well as penalties for vessels violating the regulations.

"If someone in another part of the world harms Iran's interests or our citizens, we will deal with that government in the Strait of Hormuz," he said, adding that the plan allows for measures including cargo confiscation and higher tariffs against governments that take hostile positions toward Iran.

Rezaei said the Strait of Hormuz had become a national security concern for Iran following U.S. and Israeli strikes against Iran, and that Tehran must maintain control of the waterway to prevent military threats.

The parliamentary committee approved the general outlines of the plan earlier this month, Iran's official news agency IRNA reported.