S. Korean FM learns of S. Korea-U.S. military drill cuts from Trump's social media-Xinhua

S. Korean FM learns of S. Korea-U.S. military drill cuts from Trump's social media

Source: Xinhua

Editor: huaxia

2026-08-19 12:01:00

SEOUL, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun learned of South Korea-U.S. military drill cuts from U.S. President Donald Trump's social media as Seoul received no advance notice, according to local media on Wednesday.

Cho told the parliamentary committee for foreign affairs and unification that neither the South Korean government nor U.S. government officials had any knowledge of what President Trump posted on his social media, adding that Seoul received no advance notification consequently.

He explained that South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back had been in close consultation with the U.S. side since the post appeared, emphasizing that it was not a unilateral notification, as the defense minister was consulting with the U.S. side.

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said earlier in the day that the duration of the ongoing joint military exercise with the United States, Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS), will be cut from Aug. 17-27 to Aug. 17-21.

Trump said on Aug. 16 (local time) that he had instructed the Pentagon to scale back joint South Korea-U.S. military exercises significantly, and Commander of the U.S. Forces Korea Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's defense ministry building on Tuesday.

The UFS is a summertime South Korea-U.S. joint military exercise featuring field maneuvers, computer-simulated command post exercises and civil defense drills.