UNITED NATIONS, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- The three families trapped by Israeli forces and settlers in Qusra village in the northern West Bank have received critical supplies but remain isolated, UN humanitarians said Monday.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that a team of the UN Children's Fund on Sunday delivered water, food, medicines and hygiene items, as well as recreational kits for children, to the Palestinian families in Qusra.
OCHA said that as of Monday, the families were still surrounded by a heavy presence of Israeli forces and settlers.
The families were trapped following the establishment of a settlement outpost next to their homes that led to tighter access restrictions in the area.
In the Gaza Strip, OCHA partners remain concerned about the impact of continued strikes on civilians.
"Over the weekend, partners leading on security and safety reported multiple airstrikes and incidents of shelling, gunfire and naval fire, primarily west of the so-called 'Yellow Line' -- which is where most of Gaza's 2.1 million people are confined within less than half of the Strip's land," the office said. "Civilians were reportedly among the casualties."
Humanitarian partners also warned that preparations for the coming rainy season are facing funding shortfalls and other limitations. These preparations must take place now.
"They estimate that ahead of winter, the UN and its partners have been able to buy less than 30,000 tents, most of which are still outside Gaza," OCHA said. "This is compared with an estimated need of 80,000 to 130,000 tents, depending on whether more durable supplies are allowed in."
The office said that less than 40 percent of the 4 billion U.S. dollars required for humanitarian support across Gaza and the West Bank has been secured so far this year. ■












