Rwanda announces entry control measures amid Ebola outbreak in neighboring DR Congo-Xinhua

Rwanda announces entry control measures amid Ebola outbreak in neighboring DR Congo

Source: Xinhua

Editor: huaxia

2026-05-23 00:03:00

KIGALI, May 22 (Xinhua) -- Rwanda on Friday announced mandatory quarantine measures for residents arriving from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and barred entry to foreign travelers who have recently visited or transited through the neighboring country, as authorities stepped up efforts to prevent the spread of Ebola virus disease.

The quarantine requirement applies to Rwandan nationals and foreign residents with valid proof of residency in Rwanda who have travelled to or transited through the DRC within the past 30 days, according to a statement issued by the Ministry of Health.

The ministry said all foreign nationals who have travelled to or transited through the DRC within 30 days prior to their intended travel to Rwanda will be denied entry.

There are currently no confirmed Ebola cases in Rwanda, and all activities across the country are continuing as usual, the statement said.

The ministry noted that health screening and surveillance have been reinforced at border entry points along the frontier with the DRC. Enhanced control measures are also implemented at Kigali International Airport for inbound travelers.

The latest Ebola outbreak in the DRC, declared on May 15, has expanded beyond its initial epicenter. World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Friday that the situation in the DRC was "deeply worrisome," with 82 confirmed cases and seven deaths reported so far.