BOGOTA, May 22 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from clashes between members of the Misak and Nasa Indigenous communities in southwestern Colombia has risen to six, Colombian Defense Minister Pedro Sanchez said Friday.
More than 100 people were also injured in the violent clashes that took place in the rural area of Silvia in the department of Cauca on Thursday due to a territorial dispute, Sanchez said.
The minister said army troops had been deployed to restore order.
"Our soldiers will accompany the population and protect it," he said, describing the confrontation as "absurd."
Sanchez said that President Gustavo Petro has called a meeting at the presidential palace on Monday with leaders of the communities to seek a peaceful solution. ■



