GENEVA, May 22 (Xinhua) --The World Health Organization (WHO) reported on Friday the latest developments regarding the hantavirus outbreak on board a cruise ship, with the number of reported cases rising to 12.
In a briefing to journalists, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the Netherlands had confirmed an additional case involving a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife, Spain, was repatriated to the Netherlands and has been isolating since then.
There are now 12 reported cases and 3 reported deaths. No deaths have been reported since May 2, when the outbreak was first reported to WHO, said Tedros.
"We continue to urge affected countries to monitor all passengers and crew carefully for the remainder of the quarantine period," Tedros said.
More than 600 contacts continue to be followed in 30 countries, and a small number of high-risk contacts are still being located.
Tedros thanked again the countries that have cooperated in the response and the epidemiological investigation. ■



