Pentagon cuts U.S. brigade combat teams in Europe-Xinhua

Pentagon cuts U.S. brigade combat teams in Europe

Source: Xinhua

Editor: huaxia

2026-05-20 09:46:00

WASHINGTON, May 19 (Xinhua) -- The Pentagon announced Tuesday it has reduced the number of U.S. Brigade Combat Teams (BCTs) assigned to Europe from four to three, returning troop levels to those seen in 2021.

The decision resulted in a temporary delay of the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, said the Department of Defense in a statement, describing Poland as "a model U.S. ally."

The Pentagon will determine the final disposition of U.S. forces in Europe "based on further analysis of U.S. strategic and operational requirements, as well as our allies' own ability to contribute forces toward Europe's defense," the statement said.

This analysis is designed to advance President Donald Trump's "America First" agenda by incentivizing and enabling NATO allies to take primary responsibility for Europe's conventional defense, the statement added.

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz earlier on Tuesday, partly to ensure that the United States retains a strong military presence in Poland, the statement said.

"Poland has shown both the ability and resolve to defend itself. Other NATO allies should follow suit," it said.

U.S. Vice President JD Vance said on Tuesday that the planned deployment of more than 4,000 U.S. troops to Poland was delayed rather than canceled.

The Pentagon announced earlier that roughly 5,000 U.S. troops would be withdrawn from Germany over the next six to 12 months.