Trump says considering limited strike on Iran -Xinhua

Trump says considering limited strike on Iran

Source: Xinhua

Editor: huaxia

2026-02-21 04:46:15

WASHINGTON, Feb. 20 (Xinhua) -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday that he is considering a limited military strike to pressure Iran to make a deal.

"I guess I can say I am considering that," Trump told reporters at the White House.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that Trump is weighing "an initial limited military strike" on Iran's military or government sites.

If Iran still refuses to comply with the U.S. nuclear demand, the Trump administration would respond with a broad campaign against the Iranian government facilities -- potentially aimed at toppling the Tehran government, said the report.

Trump said on Thursday that 10 to 15 days is "enough time" for Tehran to reach a deal with the United States. "We're going to make a deal or get a deal one way or the other."

White House officials have said Trump is weighing various options to strike Iran but has not yet made his final decision, according to multiple U.S. media reports.

"Regime change" in Iran would be "the best thing that could happen," Trump said last week.

Iran's Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said Friday Tehran's draft of a possible nuclear deal with the United States will be ready in the next two to three days and after that, the two sides "may need another round of discussion before starting work toward, hopefully, a good conclusion."

In an interview with MSNBC, Araghchi expressed confidence that a "fair and equitable" deal is achievable, but described the U.S. military buildup in the region as "absolutely unnecessary and unhealthy," emphasizing that diplomacy is the only solution.

Araghchi said that Iran is ready both for war and peace, noting, "we are prepared for diplomacy and negotiation as much as we are ready for war."