Benin's armed forces foil attempted mutiny
COTONOU -- Benin's armed forces have foiled an attempted mutiny aimed at destabilizing the state and its institutions, Minister of Interior and Public Security Alassane Seidou said in a statement on Sunday.
Seidou made the remarks after a group of soldiers announced earlier in the day on state broadcaster Benin TV that President Patrice Talon had been "removed from office."
According to the minister, the armed forces and their command, "faithful to their oath," responded in a republican manner and were able to keep the situation under control, thwarting the attempt. The government called on the public to continue their activities as normal.
Speaking separately to the French weekly magazine Jeune Afrique on Sunday morning, Romuald Wadagni, minister of state in charge of economy and finance, said the situation was "under control."

25 killed in midnight nightclub fire in western India's Goa
NEW DELHI -- At least 25 people, including four tourists, were killed and many others injured around midnight Saturday in a devastating fire at a nightclub in India's western state of Goa, police said on Sunday.
The fire tore through a popular nightclub, Birch by Romeo Lane, in Arpora village of North Goa district, about 16 km northwest of Panaji, the capital city of Goa.
"A massive fire broke out at Birch by Romeo Lane in Arpora, North Goa, resulting in 25 deaths, out of whom four were confirmed to be tourists, 14 were staff members and identity of seven is yet to be established. Six persons are injured and their treatment is going on," reads a statement issued by the police to local media.
"Cause of fire is yet to be ascertained. Police and fire department investigation is in progress. Legal action is being taken."
Israeli army chief says "yellow line" new borderline inside Gaza Strip
JERUSALEM -- Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir said on Sunday that the "yellow line" demarcation is the "new borderline" inside the Gaza Strip.
The "yellow line" marks the zone from which Israeli troops have not withdrawn in the Palestinian enclave, as part of the ceasefire arrangements that took effect on Oct. 10.
"The 'yellow line' is a new borderline, serving as a forward defensive line for our communities and a line of operational activity," Zamir said during a visit to Beit Hanoun and Jabaliya in Gaza, where he met division commanders.
He said the military has assumed "operational control over extensive parts of the Gaza Strip," adding that Israeli forces "will remain" in those areas.
Palestinian girl killed by Israeli army fire in southern Gaza
GAZA -- A Palestinian girl was killed Sunday by Israeli army fire in the Mawasi area of Rafah in southern Gaza.
Ambulance and emergency services said the girl was killed outside Israeli army deployment areas in Mawasi.
The Israel Defense Forces said troops in southern Gaza "identified a terrorist who crossed the yellow line and approached the troops, posing an immediate threat," and that they "eliminated the terrorist."
The Palestinian Red Crescent Society said in a statement that its teams treated a girl with critical chest injuries from live ammunition in Qaryut.
Death toll rises to 114 in drone strike on civilian areas in southern Sudan
KHARTOUM -- The death toll from a drone strike on civilian areas in Kalogi, South Kordofan State, southern Sudan, on Thursday has risen to 114, the state government said on Sunday.
"So far, the number of victims has exceeded 114 deaths, including 63 children, along with around 71 injured," Governor Mohamed Ibrahim Abdel Karim said in a statement. He added the toll could rise further, as some critically injured victims have been transferred to hospitals outside Kalogi due to limited local medical services.
Sudanese authorities accused the opposition Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N), led by Abdelaziz Al-Hilu, of coordinating with the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) to carry out the strike, which they said targeted a civilian area.
Russia urges U.S. to refrain from conflict with Venezuela
MOSCOW -- Russia stands with Venezuela's leadership and calls on the U.S. government to refrain from "sliding" into a full-scale conflict with Caracas, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Sunday.
Moscow views recent developments in Venezuela with deep concern, and tensions remain high and continue to grow. "This is primarily linked to Washington's desire to assert unquestioned dominance in the region, a trademark of the Trump administration," Ryabkov was quoted by TASS news agency as saying.
Ryabkov stressed that Russia maintains strong solidarity with Venezuela, referring to the recently concluded agreement on strategic partnership and cooperation between the two countries. "We support Venezuela, just as it supports us ... In this trying time, we stand with Caracas and its leadership shoulder to shoulder," Ryabkov said.












