MANILA, Sept. 29 (Xinhua) -- Philippine President Ferdinand Romualdez Marcos has ordered the extension of the rice import ban, covering the period from Sept. 1 to Nov. 2, for another 30 days to support Filipino farmers and stabilize local rice prices, Philippine Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel said on Monday.
Tiu Laurel said the extension had been decided during his meeting with Marcos at the presidential palace on Friday.
"It has been decided to extend the rice import ban for a minimum of 30 days, or until the end of the year, depending on the situation," he told reporters.
He added that Marcos will issue an executive order prohibiting local government units and other government offices from purchasing imported rice.
"There is also a big possibility that the government will impose a tariff again after the import ban lapses, and set a floor price for palay," he said.
"Palay" is the Filipino term for unhusked or rough rice. It is the raw, unprocessed form of rice before it is milled to remove the husk and bran. In the Philippines, "palay" is the staple food crop.
Tiu Laurel added that Marcos has "approved in principle" the issuance of an executive order for the emergency procurement of palay and the additional leasing of warehouses, so that the government can purchase more palay from farmers. ■



