JERUSALEM, April 2 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz on Wednesday announced a major expansion of the military offensive in Gaza, saying troops would seize additional areas in the strip to establish buffer zones.
The expansion includes a "broad evacuation of the Gazan population from combat zones," said Katz in a statement.
Israel ended a two-month ceasefire on March 18 and resumed deadly air and ground assaults on the Palestinian enclave.
The renewed Israeli attacks have so far killed 1,042 Palestinians and injured 2,542 others, Gaza health authorities said Tuesday, adding the death toll in the enclave since the war began in October 2023 has risen to 50,399, with 114,583 injured. ■