HANOI, Jan. 15 (Xinhua) -- Four people died from suffocation at a fresh and silk flower shop in Vietnam's capital Hanoi on Monday early morning, local media reported.
The four-floor house, located on Hang Luoc street in the city's Old Quarter area, burst into flame at about 4:40 a.m., Vietnam News Agency reported.
The house, reportedly only about 20 square meters, has only one frontage. The first floor has a rolling door and the second and third floors are fenced in front. People inside can only escape by reaching the top floor or climbing to the next house, local media VnExpress reported.
The case is being further investigated.
In 2023, Vietnam saw 3,440 fires, which killed 146 people, injured 109 others, and caused property losses of about 878 billion Vietnamese dong (36.1 million U.S. dollars), according to the country's Fire and Rescue Police Department under the Ministry of Public Security. ■