JUBA, Jan. 24 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations senior relief official in South Sudan has condemned the attacks on humanitarian workers and assets in Pibor, Greater Pibor Administrative Area.
Peter Van der Auweraert, humanitarian coordinator ad interim in South Sudan, said in a statement issued in Juba, the capital of South Sudan, on Monday that at least one aid worker was injured when several armed attackers, who were targeting cash and other valuables, broke into an international NGO compound in Pibor on Jan. 18.
"Such attacks while humanitarians are providing critical services to the most vulnerable people are beyond comprehensible. The whole humanitarian community is united in its call for the immediate end of these repeated acts of violence against civilians and humanitarians," Van der Auweraert said.
The incident followed the killing of two aid workers in the Abyei Administrative Area and another aid worker in Jonglei State earlier this month. ■