ADDIS ABABA, Aug. 31 (Xinhua) -- The Ethiopian government on Wednesday accused the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) of launching new attacks in different directions.
The Ethiopian Government Communication Service said in a statement that the rebel group has launched new attacks across different areas in the Amhara region, neighboring the Tigray.
"The TPLF clique, which cannot survive without war, has launched an invasion in the direction of Wag, Wolkait and our border areas with Sudan (in the Amhara region)," the statement read. "The TPLF has continued utilizing its worn-out human wave strategy that places children, youth and the elderly people of Tigray as sacrificial lambs."
It said the invasion of Kobo and the surrounding areas in the eastern Amhara region by TPLF fighters "has not gone as the group planned" due to the concerted response effort of heroic defense forces and the local communities.
The federal government, however, said while responding to attacks launched by the rebel group in various directions, it has not closed off the options for peace.
"We continue to urge the international community to do what it can to pressure the belligerent group for a peaceful resolution of the conflict," the statement read.
Last week, the Ethiopian government accused the TPLF of resuming fighting. The TPLF, on the other hand, accused the federal government of starting the attack on its forces.
Humanitarian aid had been recently heading to the Tigray region after the Ethiopian government and the rebel forces agreed to a conditional cessation of hostilities and unhindered delivery of humanitarian aid into the region.
Ethiopia, Africa's second most populous nation, has seen a devastating conflict between government-allied troops and forces loyal to the TPLF since November 2020, which has left millions in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. ■