QUITO, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- Ecuadoran police on Wednesday captured a suspect for involvement in the deadly explosion that rocked the southwestern port city of Guayaquil on Sunday.
The police arrested a man who admitted to involvement in the terrorist attack, Ecuadoran Interior Minister Patricio Carrillo tweeted.
Five people were killed and 17 others were injured in the explosion. The Ecuadoran government said that organized crime linked to drug smuggling was behind the explosion.
As part of investigations surrounding the explosion, Carrillo said 12 people had been apprehended, and weapons and explosive material were seized in 14 raids.
After the explosion, Ecuadoran President Guillermo Lasso declared a state of emergency for 30 days in Guayaquil to recover peace and tranquillity. ■