CAIRO, March 12 (Xinhua) -- The Egyptian Ministry of Education decided on Thursday to shut down an international school in the capital Cairo because a parent of one of the students has communicated with a foreigner infected with COVID-19, known as the novel coronavirus.
"We have made a precautionary decision to shut down City International School in Zamalek, Cairo, and order a self-imposed quarantine on the students, teachers and administration for 14 days," the ministry said in a statement.
It is part of the ministry's plan to face the outbreak of coronavirus, according to the statement.
It added that the decision was made in coordination with the Ministry of Health, which found out the communication between the parent and the foreigner infected with COVID-19.
"The two ministries follow up the situation at all schools nationwide round the clock and reassure parents that such measures are just precautionary and shouldn't raise any concerns," said the statement.
Egypt has so far announced the discovery of 67 coronavirus cases in total, including foreigners and locals. Among them are 27 who recovered and turned from positive to negative to the virus, eight of whom have been discharged from hospital. The recent death of a 60-year-old German tourist is the only fatality of COVID-19 in Egypt.