ISTANBUL, Sept. 30 (Xinhua) -- Turkish security forces detained 35 suspects in simultaneous operations across 16 provinces in a crackdown on the military structure of the network behind a failed coup attempt in 2016, authorities said Tuesday.
The Izmir Chief Public Prosecutor's Office said in a statement that the operation targeted 42 suspects linked to the Gulen movement, which the Turkish government holds responsible for the July 15, 2016 coup attempt.
The raids were carried out by anti-terrorism units of both the police and gendarmerie. According to the statement, 35 suspects were taken into custody, while the remaining seven are believed to be abroad. All of the individuals had previously been expelled from military schools by government decree.
The Gulen movement, led by Turkish preacher Fethullah Gulen, who died in the United States in 2024, has been accused by the Turkish government of masterminding the coup attempt, which claimed over 250 lives and left thousands injured. Authorities say operations targeting the network continue as part of a sustained effort to dismantle its structures. ■



